Sunday, April 10, 2011

Happy to be Two-Thirds Wrong

Long time readers know I write a quarterly column on the economy for Inside Business, which is the regional business journal.  You can copy and paste this URL to read the latest:  http://www.insidebiz.com/news/q1-chock-full-market-shock

In it, you will read the consensus of opinion at the conference of the National Association of Business Economics, which I attended in Washington recently, was that neither Republicans nor Democrats had the political courage to re-open any discussion on entitlements.  To my surprise, the Republican chairman of the House Budget Committee almost did that.  His new budget does attack the cost of Medicare and Medicaid but not Social Security.  So, I was two-thirds wrong . . . GOOD!

I was disappointed with his bill, which ignores means-testing and requires the very elderly to make complex decisions.  Now, let's hear his solution for Social Security.