Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Ultimate Paratrooper

No paratrooper has ever forgotten that feeling of jumping into nothing and then dropping rapidly.  It has been over 40 years since my first jump, and I can still remember every second of it.

So, it is not surprising that I missed my tee time on Sunday afternoon, as I stood transfixed, watching the historic jump of Felix Baumgartner from over 128 thousand feet, from the edge of space where the arc of the Earth was clear.  We now know the human body can withstand greater speeds than expected.  We now know the human body can travel even faster than the speed of sound, outside an aircraft.

As a former paratrooper, I marvel at his courage and his contribution to science.

As an economist, I marvel at the creeping influence of advertising.  It has driven the TV industry from the beginning.  It now drives the sports industry.  It is driving the development of the internet.  It is destroying our right to privacy.

How ironic is it that the cost of Mr. Baumgartner's historic contribution to science was underwritten by an "energy drink" maker called Red Bull.  I suppose it was good brand advertising to sell their non-prescription product, which helps people stay awake -- something Mr. Baumgartner obviously didn't need.