Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fatherly Advice

It may be the best advice my father ever gave me:  Never discuss politics or religion!  That was good advice, which has helped over the years.  Sometimes, my love of economics would cause me to slip into a political discussion, but I've faithfully avoided any discussion of religion.  It is simply too important and too private to discuss with mere mortals.  In fact, I would rather discuss my last visit to the urologist in front of a crowded convention center than discuss my last visit to church in front of a crowd of one.

Now, there is also a common courtesy among writers that we read each other's books . . . oh, what to do, what to do . . .

Jerry Maxwell is a good & decent man, whom I've known for many years and also happens to be a devout Christian.  He has written a short but serious book on the management of new churches, entitled Across the Aisle.  He makes a compelling case that churches should be built "bottom-up" from "life groups."  Too often, some denomination decides to start a church somewhere, and they impose more organizational structure than necessary for growth.

I enjoyed this book, this peek into a world I don't know.  Jerry also discusses what defines leadership in developing a new church, and it is remarkably similar to corporate leadership, if not military leadership.  A leader is humble enough to even wash the feet of his followers.  There is much to learn from reading this book, and I look forward to his next one.

But, I wonder if his father also told him never to discuss politics or religion . . . I salute him for being able to discuss such a forbidden subject intelligently.  I'd probably just wind up writing a book about my last visit to the urologist. . . .