Saturday, June 7, 2014

Prioritizing Truths

Which of these truths is untrue:  (1)  we leave no troops behind, (2) we don't negotiate with terrorists, (3) innocent until proven guilty, or (4) spin is more important than truth.  Answer:  None!

As a soldier, it means so much to have confidence you will not be left to rot in some God-forsaken rat-hole forever.  But, we have left troops behind before.

If I was one of the remaining soldiers in Afghanistan, I would be even more worried about a kidnapping attempt than I was before the Bergdahl controversy.  But, this is not the first nor last time we have negotiated with terrorists.  They have  been incentivised to take more hostages.

I don't know if Bergdahl was a traitor or not.  I do know others in his unit have said he was a traitor.  If we left him there, we would never have the benefit of putting him on trial.  I feel he should be tried by a military court.  If he is found to be a traitor, I think he should be promptly executed by firing squad on live television.
Of course, one can argue we paid too great a price, i.e., five terrorists for one P.O.W. of questionable patriotism. Normally, I try to avoid criticizing any negotiated outcomes without knowing the dynamics involved.  Still, I have to assume we have implanted some type of RFID device to track them.  Since we couldn't execute them under the watchful eyes in Guantanamo, they lost those "Constitutional" protections when they left.  Now, they are eligible targets!

Yes, the truth is that spin is more important than truth, at least in the short-term.  Whatever a Democratic President is wrong, according to Republicans.  Whatever a Republican President does is wrong, according to Democrats.  Neither party is rushing to a considered judgement.  Instead, they are just rushing to the microphones and TV cameras.  Situation normal!

The paramount truth is that every person is innocent until proven guilty.  I just hope the punishment is swift and fits the crime . . .