Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Educated Company

One big loser in November's election was gridlock, and I'm glad.  The other big loser was globalization, and I'm sad . . . very sad!

At least, I have good company.  According to research by The College of William and Mary, my old alma mater, there is an inverse relationship between educational level and disdain for globalization.  In other words, the more education a person has, the more likely they are to support globalization.

56% of high school graduates or less think globalization is a bad thing.  50% of those with some college don't like it.  39% of college graduates have disdain for globalization, and only 36% of those holding postgraduate degrees don't like it.

The more educated a person is, the more likely they are to understand the arithmetic of "comparative advantage" and to have been exposed to educated foreigners.

I'm so afraid we are going to "throw out the baby with the bath water."