Saturday, May 12, 2018

What I Wished For ?

Long time readers will recall ten years ago or so that I lamented the death of democracy when Republicans and Democrats could not even do the things they agree on -- for fear of "cooperating with each other."  I pondered endlessly about Erdogan's famous comment that "Democracy is like a train - when you get to your stop, you get off."  I longed for a Strongman-type leader who would break the logjams and Make American Democracy Great Again.

For awhile, I hoped that Donald Trump was that leader -- that Bull in a China Shop who would break everything and then put it back together.  But, I never wished for a Bull in the pharmacy next door, nor a Bull in the grocery, nor a Bull in the gas station, nor a Bull in the church, nor a Bull anywhere else.

I feel partially responsible.  How much breakage is too much?