Friday, February 18, 2011

When is a Right not a Value?

I don't remember ever having a day when I was not concerned about my privacy. Even in the Army, I always knew I would regain my privacy one day. It is a Value that I still treasure. Before it became irrelevant, Congress even cannonized that Value into a Right to privacy.

Wednesday night, I decided to clean out the "cookies" on my computer, which allow my internet usage to be tracked by strangers. (You have them on your computer right now!) As a result, I could no longer access my own blog . . . go figure??

Seeking assistance from my IT pro, as well as my daughter, I noticed they didn't share my concern. I might as well have asked them if the world was flat. Seeking privacy in the internet age is as silly as saying the world is flat. Now that Congress gave us the Right to privacy, the younger generation shrugs its shoulders and laughs at our antique Value.

It is sad . . . for them. They don't know what they don't know!