Sunday, November 6, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

One of the earliest values I remember being taught as an inquisitive boy was to "mind your own business," which is difficult for the intellectually curious, but I have have tried to hold onto that value and have been annoyed by those nosey people who do try to mind my business for me.  Maybe, that is why I have lamented the loss of privacy so many times in this space.  In fact, I've marvelled repeatedly that young people don't seem to understand the concept of privacy at all, because they have never experienced it.  Their eyes glaze over, like they're forced to listen to Latin.

Hoping that privacy is still possible, I just read How To Be Invisible by J.J. Luna.  The book is a treasure trove of techniques, ranging from burning your garbage to having utilities in different names to avoiding the internet.  There is even a website http://www.howtobeinvisible.com/ .

My conclusion is that privacy is indeed a historical relic and that this book is more useful for criminals and people-with-nothing-else-to-do.  For the average person, privacy is dead.  I'm sad . . .