Monday, September 9, 2013

Sound of Silence

I love my wife!  Yes, I know that is a bizarre way to begin a blog.  Of course, after the next sentence, every husband knows why I opened with . . . "I love my wife."

When she informed me she was going to Houston to see family, my first thought was serenity, and I started making rules for my highly anticipated alone-time.  First, television was limited to one hour of news daily.  I broke that rule, just by going to the gym, which has televisions everywhere.  Then, I found out the Cowboy game was televised Sunday night.  First rule clearly broken!

Second, I was going to concentrate on my next book by studying some new books on "human finance" but they didn't arrive on time.  So, I only worked on it a little.  Second rule partially broken!

Third, I was going to be reclusive, avoiding human contact.  I saw lots of people at the gym but talked with no one.  But, the nice people at Subway who prepared my tasty dinner both Saturday and Sunday nights asked me several questions, and I ended up talking with them.  Third rule too stupid not to break!

I guess that making bachelor rules is not in my skill set.  With all due respect to Simon & Garfunkel, the Sound of Silence can be over-rated.  They were smart not to call it the Joy of Silence.

She'll be home tomorrow, and the silence will be gone . . . and that's just fine!