Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Changing Face of Veterans

Decades ago, my father observed that some families have veterans and some do not.  Because I could quickly think of a couple of exceptions to this, I dismissed it.  But, over the years, I have found that it is indeed more often correct than incorrect, and I don't know why.

I suppose that parents in non-veteran families put more pressure on their kids to stay out of military service than do veteran families.  In addition, because there is no family tradition of military service, it is probably never even considered as an alternative. That does not mean that non-veteran families are less patriotic.   It does mean the kids of those families have less opportunity for growth.

As my years of military service surely galvanized me, it is sad to see young people today missing that opportunity, but the needs of the military must come first, and the military just doesn't need to raise young kids for a few years.

In my family, it was always assumed that I would eventually serve.  My grandfather served in World War I.  My father served in World War II.  It never crossed my mind that I would not serve at some point.  That point came after a minor football injury required me to stay off my feet for a week, during which time I listened to Day for Decision and Ballard of the Green Berets - over and over - on the radio.  When that week was over, I enlisted.

Since then, I do think the percentage of American families with veterans has decreased, as so many more of our servicemen & women are now full-time adult professionals, and there is no more draft.

As much as I applaud Secretary McDonald's efforts to reorganize the Veterans Administration, he is doing so at a time of peak usage.  The number of veterans is expected to decrease from about 22 million to only 14 million over the next thirty years, as the World War II and older Vietnam-era members die off.  And, as a percentage of the population, the number of veterans will continue to decrease even more.  Unless, of course, we have a few more large-scale wars . . .