Saturday, August 8, 2015

God Bless Satelites?

The Newseum is a wonderful museum dedicated to explaining the industry that reports news (in exchange for advertising dollars, of course).  Originally located in Rosslyn, Virginia, across the Potomac River from the nation's capital, it was relocated inside the District a few years ago.

One exhibit in particular fascinates me.  They are able to download & exhibit some 20-30 newspapers from around the world, in English or the home language.  You can literally read the front pages from around the world every day.  The difference in how the news is reported is so revealing.  Also, the differences in what actually constitutes news is worth noting.

The practical application is that I am able to have The Wall Street Journal delivered to my stateroom floating in Alaska.  I had my choice of many newspapers but chose my favorite.  It does cost $6.50 each day but is well worth it to me!

Technology certainly adds to the quality of our life, but it also adds to the quantity of our frustration.  I can have a newspaper delivered daily in the middle of the ocean but cannot make a cell phone call??  The satelitte phone works, but that's expensive.  Cell phones only work in port, darn it!