Saturday, November 7, 2015

Little Problems

I have problems.  You have problems.  Everyone has problems.  But, not everyone has the same problems.

Once a year, the Financial Planning Association teams up with the National Council of Mayors to host pro bono financial planning in twenty cities across the country, by CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER (TM) Professionals, for those people who cannot afford such individualized attention.  Today was that day.

One person was a 64-year-old taxi driver, still without Obamacare, but with surgery for bladder cancer this coming Friday.  He doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Medicare.  I hate it when I have to recommend bankruptcy.  Another was a 62-year-old women whose husband deserted her AFTER he punched out her front teeth.  Even without those teeth, she somehow found a low-paying job and survived by maxing-out her credit cards.  Now, she has a job -- but way too much credit card debt.  And, to top it off, she also has problems with the IRS now.  I steered her into credit counselling and explained the OIC process or offers in compromise with the IRS.  She seemed grateful for my advice, or maybe she was just grateful that somebody actually listened to her problems.  I don't know.

Yes, I have problems . . . little problems.  I hope your problems are also little.  I wish nobody had big problems.  But, they do!

When I sit down for Thanksgiving Dinner this year, I will indeed be very thankful for my problems . . . my little problems!