Friday, March 23, 2018

Backsliding

For years, I have worried about the impact of too much news-watching.  It can drain a person emotionally and suck them into a "group-think."  It can also make a person very boring.  So, I have practiced a "news-celibacy" day -- voluntarily not watching any news for 24 hours.  In my case, it was Saturday.

Then, I got interested in Michael Smerconish, who is a lifelong Republican that has resisted the far-right pull over the last few years.  He has a one-hour show on Saturday mornings, that I find refreshingly moderate.  So, I have broken my vow of news-celibacy and started backsliding.  After all, watching news is addictive and hard to give up.

Therefore, with all due respect to Mr. Smerconish, I will redouble my efforts to remain news-free on Saturdays.  One day is NOT too much time to take away from political arrogance, the trade war, the never-ending brutality of the mid-east, impeachment, etc.  It will also make you more interesting!

Sorry, Michael!