Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Grieving Season ?

My mother died thirteen months ago, and I think about her several times every day.  All my friends, as well as the "experts," say it is normal to grieve the loss of a loved one, and I do!

But, I know the particular date that she died -- March 30th, 2014 -- which is a date-certain that many people don't have.  Having a date-certain makes the necessary grieving less difficult for me than those loved ones who don't have a date-certain.  My heart will always break for those who loved our POWs & MIAs in Vietnam.  They never knew when their loved ones met their end, which made their grieving far, far more difficult.

I attended a lecture last week on driver-less cars.  They discussed LIDAR, which is the image-capturing radar on the roof of driver-less cars.  It will take high-resolution photographs 360-degrees around a driver-less car, up to 100 meters or about 300 feet.  It can spot a squirrel sitting in a tree.  Anything showing through any open window, anybody going in or out of any building, anybody driving by, or anybody in the area for any reason will be captured forever.

Afterwards, I brought up the issue of privacy and was told "Privacy is already dead.  Don't be silly, hoping that you will ever again have any privacy.  Just get over it -- let it go!"

Maybe, that was the date-certain that I needed -- April 29th, 2015.

Maybe, it is past-time to begin that grieving process.