Thursday, February 13, 2014

82 Degrees of Guilt

It is with mild existential amusement whenever I listen to my Baptist friends compete with my Catholic friends over which faith requires the greatest guilt.  However, this concept of guilt is seldom helpful.  Unless there is an object lesson involved, the mere carrying of guilt is absurd.

Nonetheless, my inner hypocrite is feeling guilty this morning, as I sit in Key West with a sunny 82 degrees and gentle ocean breezes, while my friends, clients, and neighbors sit in near-arctic conditions back home.

I should just feel thankful to be sitting here, not guilty.  I should be feeling regret my loved ones are cold, not guilt.  Nonetheless, I feel guilt.  In fact, I'm carrying guilt . . . right now . . . for awhile . . . until I head downstairs to the pool.