Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mind Maintenance

Philosophies can be described as overly-intellectualized coping strategies or ways to deal with the world and other people.  Maybe.  My intellectual drug-of-choice has long been existentialism, which sees the world through the prism of absurdity.  I have read many books on the philosophy, some were good and some were awful.  Still, it colors my views.

Recently, when I predicted the President would be impeached, my Republican friends started smelling a Democrat, while my Democratic friends rushed to welcome me.  One perceptive friend noticed my lack of emotion on the subject and suggested I was more stoic than existentialist.  Maybe.  It was less a partisan observation and more of a fiduciary observation, i.e., how will this expected outcome impact my clients?  Not every conclusion is partisan, and not every thought is an emotion.

Existentialism and stoicism are now collecting dust in philosophical waste bins and probably should be there.  Meanwhile, psychology seems to have taken the place of philosophy   Maybe.

A friend and client is exploring mindfulness, which Wikipedia defines as "the psychological process of bringing one's attention to the internal experiences occurring in the present moment, which can be developed through the practice of meditation and other training."  There is no doubt in my mind that mindfulness will definitely increase your years, as well as your enjoyment of those years!  That is the easy part, but it doesn't come easily.

Just as marathoners run a real risk of over-training, a person can work their mind too much for too long and exhaust it.  Mind maintenance requires a periodic shutdown before being refilled.  Mindfulness is a great help -- and healthy too.  But, it is not a light switch to be suddenly flipped on.  It is a way-of-life to be pursued.  If you only learn one exercise, learn to breathe.  

Think you already know how to breathe?  Nope!