Sunday, December 14, 2014

An Individual Duty

Senator John McCain is right.  We should renounce all forms of torture and should abide by the Geneva Convention . . . as a nation.  If we are to ever become the "shiny city on the hill" that President Reagan wanted us to be, we must renounce torture and once again embrace.the Geneva Convention . . as a nation.

However, in the wildly unrealistic situation that I am holding the hostage who has the code to prevent an explosion killing Americans in one hour, I would immediately begin severing fingers, toes, and all other appendages until I get that code.  Afterwards, I would throw myself on the mercy of the court, because serving time in prison is a cheap price for serving my country . . . as an individual.

Sometimes, what is wrong for a country is justifiable for an individual.  The Chinese argue that Americans suffer from the "cult of the individual," placing the good of the individual above the good of many.  I would argue with them . . . not always.