Wednesday, September 21, 2016

One More Time . . .

I have told this story before but, with less than 50 days until the election, it is worth telling again.

One of the most important things my father taught me was at age 13 when I was a paperboy.  I had just finished delivering all the newspapers and was pedaling my bike back home, when a truck loaded with walnuts passed by me.  In the back were three black boys who began pelting me with the walnuts.  While it didn't really hurt, it did confuse me.  What did I do wrong to deserve that?

When I got home, I asked my father, who explained that ten percent of all black people are bad people.  After thinking about that for awhile, I went back to him and asked what percent of white people are bad people.  When he said "ten percent," I immediately then understood the lesson he was teaching - that ninety percent of black people are good people, just as ninety percent of white people are.

The musical artist named Sting asked the rhetorical question of "do the Russians love their children too?"  The answer, of course, is that the Russians do love their children the same way Americans love their children.  Ninety percent of the Russians are good people, just as ninety percent of the Chinese are good people.  It applies to religion as well, i.e., ninety percent of the Catholics, Jews, Protestants, Muslims, Buddhists, etc are all good people.

Now, with less than 50 days before the election, it is vital that Republicans remember that ninety percent of Democrats are good people, and that Democrats remember that ninety percent of the Republicans are good people.

Yes, love those people who cancel out your vote!