Friday, February 10, 2017

Slippery Slope

It happened the first Saturday after the November presidential election.  I was watching The Golf Channel, when they started talking about the impact of Trump on golf and how his election might affect play at his already-expensive golf courses.  It got me thinking about Trump, but it was Saturday, which is my "news-free" day.  I decided to just "tough-it-out" and endure the election coverage.  But, I was soiled . . .

That afternoon, I got in my car and turned on the radio, which was on CNN, and I started listening.  Soiled again!  Twice on my news-free day, I was soiled with news!!

Each Saturday since then, I have felt less and less adamant about maintaining my news--purity.  I started watching local news, just for the weather forecast . . . of course!  That spread to network news, because a little news wouldn't hurt . . . would it?

The world is different without 24/7 saturation news coverage, and abstinence gives you a better perspective on the news the other six days of the week.  Therefore, I must redouble my efforts to regain that perspective . . . by avoiding news-noise on Saturday.